Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Lesbian Bodies: Tribades, Tomboys, and Tarts

I found Barbara Creed's article Lesbian Bodies: Tribades, Tomboys, and Tarts to be extremely interesting. It showed me a perspective on the topic that I had never even thought of. From the ideas presented in the reading, I was able to see the difficulty society has in accepting a female sexual relationship. For instance, when speaking of Freud explanation as to why two women may be attracted to one another, I could not help but wonder why the world needed this answer. Why does there need to be a clear cut reason for why this type of relationship occurs? I understand that times are changing; however, I feel like in order for us to excel, the first step that we need to take is to accept what is occurring in present times. By questioning why such relationships occur, we are only hindering our progress.
The perspective of a male on a lesbian relationship is another point of this article that really demonstrated the views of society. I feel that men are not only threatened by the lesbian relationship because it may affect how they are viewed in society, but moreover because they feel they are not in control. It seems that in many of the articles that we have read, the role of women is to cater to men, to please them. This assumption, in my opinion, signifies that belief that men are the more dominant race; it is not important how a woman may feel, she is merely the object that will allow a man to feel a certain way. Furthermore, I think that men are threatened by a lesbian relationship, because they fear women sexuality. For instance, there are images that are seem as dangerous that relate to the sexuality of a female, such as the image of Medusa's Head.

No comments: