Monday, March 31, 2008

After reading Claire's post on Talk..

I remembered the activity we did in class where we went over various advantages we get as every-day, able-bodied, privileged people. Honestly, it scares me to think about all those things because I don't want to think of what I would be without it; my life would be much harder and I definitely wouldn't be an Emory student today. For what my parents came from, my mother a refugee from Myanmar (formerly Burma, if any of you know about the civil wars and military struggle there), and my father a descendant of sugar slaves in Barbados, life must have been very difficult. I always hear from my dad about how he worked through college because his parents couldn't afford to put him through, and my mother took the housewife role, giving up any idea of college when my older brother was born. My father worked his ass off to support my family for so long, and he gave all that he had up until he hit bankruptcy a few years back. I don't think my parents had it easy when starting in America; my mother worked at a Chinese restaurant and her dad was an alcoholic at the time, always taking her money; my father struggled to stay independent from his parents. For me to think about what they went through in their home countries... my mother tells me about how hard it was in Burma, how her youngest brother almost died at age 5 of a terrible fever, how hard it was to get by, how her mother moved her husband and six children to Massachusetts with only a few hundred dollars. I take advantage of so much in this lifetime, that it's hard for me to understand not having what I do, but the when my family went bankrupt, I started to understand hardship. For the first time in my life, I was financially unstable and had to work for myself and give up all the extra things like birthday gifts and summer vacations to Barbados; my family couldn't afford those things. My mother had to go back to work for the first time in almost 20 years, and she struggled to keep a job, only because she's very people-oriented and can't get along with rude people. My parents went through a lot for me.

I wonder if I have it in me to do the same, heaven forbid it happens to me in the future. I have to learn from my parents and understand all they've gone through in order to make myself who I am, and I try to absorb all I can from them. I am very afraid to think about whether or not my future is secure, hell I'm worried about finding a job by the time I graduate, because that affects my life after Emory. I'm so sheltered in this life that I'm worried, and the privilege has become too much. My life is comfortable, and my boyfriend's life is even more comfortable than mine, and to think that it won't always be like this, it's a wake-up call. We all have to do everything we can and stop taking things for granted, because it won't be here forever.

It also makes me think of "rich", well-to-do parents who don't spoil their children, let alone give them an allowance in order to teach their children to make money and work for what you have. My family is far from wealthy, but we're no longer so close to bankrupt, but I've learned the meaning of a dollar, I know what hard work is, I know how to earn my way and give everything I can, and I know not to step on the feet of the people I pass along the way, or even those with whom I share the path.

I hope we all took something meaningful out of the discussion from Thursday, and I hope we all understand how blesses and privileged we are just as Emory students. Just as college students, hell, just for making it as far in life as we have, because there are plenty of people who die before making it to 21 like me, 18 like a few of us; being adults is a privilege supported by where we grew up, by how our parents cared for us, by what education we received. It all starts at the beginning. And that brings new light to the Hmong idea of the first beginning of the world; I'm finally beginning to understand.

2 comments:

NerdyCrew said...

It really is true how much we all have. Sometimes I complain that as an international student, there are as much resources available for me here in U.S. as there are to American students. (In terms of scholarship, in particular). However, I am forgetting about everything I have. The opportunity to come over to U.S. and to attend one of the top private university is an enormous privilege itself. I have many friends in Korea who wants to come to U.S. but do not have financial means to do so. My parents are not millionaires, but they work hard to support my sister and I. I have so many of privileges we discussed in class. But I do not recognize them because I take them for granted. Relating to issues of lack of activism on Emory's campus, I often think that I do not have enough resources or knowledge to support an interest group. However, I already have so much privilege, much more than majority of people in the world, and these resources can probably be the necessary tools to start making changes.

cait said...

I agree! I feel like it's so easy to sincerely believe that you are not smart enough, passionate enough, or experienced enough to make a difference. Really though, we do have so much! And we do have at least enough to make a small difference.
I think the other big reason we often don't get involved is because we think we don't have the time. It's an issue of pace of life, again! I wrote a poem after this class period that kind of had to deal with this... so I guess I can post it. I don't really know that it's all that good haha...

PACE
we need a change of pace
caution tape is taking over
residences laid to waste
buildings leveled when they’re older
to progress and finesse our
humble learning institution
i would rather throw paint on them
rectify and leave erect
the guil-tom dorms and corridors
where we once learned
why not go and pour
our ever forty thousand dollars
into wrecking balls
to grace the other side of town
to level heinous brothels
who do not massage
but deep tissue
bruise the fruit
of Peachtree
maybe then our dollars
finally living out their color
would quiet groans of scholars
over late mail and non-gourmet
café food, locked doors, poor
sports and the “system” they don’t
realize they define
we need a change of pace
a lot of small solutions
but really
it’s too late
who has the time?