Thursday, November 15, 2007

Anger in Action

We've been discussing the lack of anger in present day activism a lot recently, and even how the nature of ACT UP's demonstrations has changed over the years. I attended Cartooning for Peace's "The Art of Controversy: Where to Draw the Line?" yesterday, and I couldn't stop thinking about our class as a panel of some of the world's most prominent political cartoonists discussed their work. That was probably the most savvy, irreverent, and dissatisfied group of people I have ever been in the presence of, and I could feel their anger. Michel Kichka of Israel mentioned the saying, "If you're not angry, then you're not paying attention.” There were so many profound comments made over the course of their discussion about censorship, tolerance, criticism, empathy, provocation, and on and on and on, which I found very relevant to what we’ve been talking about as far as effective activism is concerned. It is necessary to be politically incorrect and offensive in order to challenge social constructs, but not so much that you turn people away from the point that you’re trying to make. These artists make their living offending people, and they are more than happy to do it. Because cartoons are visual, simple, and humorous, they instantly get a memorable message across and they can often times cross language and even cultural barriers.

I was most struck by two of the artists, Ali Dilem from Algeria and Piyale Madra from Turkey. I never understood just how much U.S. newspapers censor the cartoons that we get to see until I saw some of Dilem's cartoons. I was shocked by how graphic the images were and how raw and apparent his anger was (in person he was the brightest and most fun-loving guy). His humor wasn’t shrouded in cynicism like what we’re used to in the U.S., but downright dark. I don't know anything about the political climate in Algeria, but I have a feeling Dilem is not very popular with his government. It is not for lack of trying that U.S. cartoonists can’t get more blatant political criticisms published, Liza Donnelly of the The New Yorker and Mike Luckovich of the AJC even showed some of their rejected works. The pair of them commented that sure, they have free speech... but their publications catch so much flack from readers about cartoons criticizing the U.S. government that they can’t just write whatever they want, or the papers won’t sell. Piyale Madra made my favorite statement of the evening. In answer to the question of where she draws the line, she said that she always wants to cross the lines because she does not like them. She went on to explain that she never trusts the external limits placed upon her, only her internal lines because she knows in her heart that she isn’t aiming to hurt anyone.

http://www.cartooningforpeace.org/

1 comment:

emorycmh said...

I have two classes and work in the library, so basically I live there. Because of this I always get to see the art exhibits that they have in the 3rd floor hallway leading to the gallery area by the elevators. I always spend some time looking at whatever exhibit is up at the moment and while I've liked most of the them, there hasn't been a single one that I've found as interesting, moving or powerful as the "Cartooning for Peace" one that is currently up. I've gone around and looked at all of the cartoons more than once and find myself still looking at them every time I walk by. I wish I had had the opportunity to go to the panel that you went to, I'm glad you posted about it so I got to hear some of the ideas of the artists. If people haven't had a chance to look at them, I highly recommend that you take a few minutes and check them out.