Thursday, November 1, 2007

A Lack of Villains

The first time I read this book, the guide I was reading cited a quote by German philosopher Christian Friedrich Hebbel: “Genuine tragedies in the world are not conflicts between right and wrong. They are conflicts between two rights.” I definitely believe The Spirit Catches You and You Fall Down is a story of two "rights," which makes it ever frustrating when tragedy befalls Lia Lee and in turn her numerous caregivers. Growing up in the Western tradition, I initially identified with the doctors involved in Lia's case. As Fadiman states, most family practice physicians, who are paid the lowest on average, choose their specialty for "altruistic reasons." (63) While the numerous articles that we've discussed in this class clearly show the falsely elevated status that medical professionals tend to have, I can understand why it would "rankle" to work thirty-three hour shifts a day and not be liked by your patients or even thanked. Fadiman allows the reader to become frustrated along with Neil Ernst and Peggy Philp as they try to control Lia's epilepsy despite not being able to control what happens when she is out of the hospital.

Contrarily, I also sympathize with Foua and Nao Kao. They basically came to this country against their will and therefore with no desire to assimilate into American culture. Their spiritual and cultural beliefs are the only constant in their lives full of pain, destruction, and death. Nevertheless, their ultimate inability to express themselves in America leads to complete disregard for their wishes about their daughter's care. Additionally, most of the health care professionals they meet show no desire to learn about Foua and Nao Kao's preferred treatment of quag dab peg. With such a lack of support, Foua's resignation is not surprising: "I am very stupid...too many sad things have happened to me and my brain is not good anymore." (103)

Although I remember from my first reading that Fadiman later suggests methods of preventing such a tragedy from ever reoccurring, I am unsure if such a serious cultural divide could have ever been completely resolved. My best guess at a solution (besides more interpreters) is an idea we discussed in class: making little concessions, like hospitals allowing placentas to be taken home rather than incinerated, to build trust and minimize antagonism between cultures. Over time, small acknowledgments of other cultures may make the bigger treatments, like major surgery or medication requirements, easier to accept.

1 comment:

AmandaG123 said...

I completely agree with your ideas regarding what is most likely the best way to bridge this cultural gap-- giving little concessions. While many students in our class viewed only the problems with the Grey's Anatomy clip that Morgan showed, I saw it differently. Certainly, there were problems with the way it was presented and, further, it was about as an ideal a case representing the clash of differing cultures as one might find. However, I don't think this was the point of the episode. The point-- in my opinion-- was to show how little concessions can go a long way. The Hmong woman came ot a hospital, received pain medication, and her parents even eventually allowed her to undergo the surgery, and the docors listened in that they pushed back the surgery, got personally involved in the case and hunted down a shaman. So, yes, it was overly simplified and idealized, but I think the producers were just trying to show that the gap can be bridged if both cultures were just willing to give a little.