Saturday, December 1, 2007

Pronounced Punches and Killer Kicks

I was completely shocked after hearing Mary Alexander’s presentation on the women’s self-defense PE class. I was surprised to hear that an institution like Emory College, which boasts of gender equality found on campus, would allow a class that makes women feel particularly vulnerable to continue. Moreover, based on some of the class handouts that Mary Alexander discussed, I found some of the personal beliefs of the professor to be offensive.
During my first year at Emory, I started taking a kickboxing class taught by Nathan Nowak, the owner of Trinity Gym, a gym based in midtown Atlanta. I knew that Nathan has studied martial arts since the age of nine, has coached a female Tae Kwon Do team since 1999, and specialized in women’s self-defense. After class last Thursday, I decided to interview Nathan on the subject of women’s self-defense. We discussed what inspires most women to begin studying self-defense. In some cases, it is the unfortunate situation of domestic violence or rape that inspires a victim or a friend of a victim to study self-defense. However, other women who are just looking to increase their confidence levels or no longer want to live in fear also study self-defense.
When I asked Nathan about the use of scare tactics in teaching self-defense, he was initially very confused. In most self-defense programs, especially those geared particularly towards women, the goal is empowerment. The goal of Emory’s PE class is to become aware of all of the dangers that exist, and this awareness will indeed serve as a defense against dangers. However, what is sacrificed for this type of defense? A life of fear is no life at all. Humans should not live in a constant state of alarm. As Marilyn Ferguson said, “Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom.” Making women feel constantly under attack may decrease the number of successful attacks on women. However, there should be a more holistic technique that also works to empower women.
I also spoke to Nathan about lessons in prevention for women’s self-defense. Nathan has never suggested preparing food or a beverage in order to avoid confrontation with a man. For anyone who is more interested in women’s self-defense, Nathan is working with Emory’s Center for Women to hold a seminar in February. Alternatively, through Nathan’s gym a five-week course is offered in women’s self-defense, and the fifth week concentrates entirely on gun violence.

3 comments:

knowledge is power said...

I think that Nathan's self defense seminar sounds really interesting. I thought that the class that I observed was really valuable and worthwhile, however, many of the messages that the "intellectual" aspect of self defense sent were not very positive. It seems that Nathan will be able to teach a seminar without "scaring" women into being too paranoid about our lives and I think that awareness, not paranoia, is the best "intellectual" self defense. Fearmongering is certainly not very healthy and I plan on attending Nathan's self defense course next semester to learn some more moves!

dj MC said...

This whole discussion of women’s self defense got me thinking about a previous reading, “White privilege: Unpacking the invisible knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh. Like someone mentioned in class concerning the Center for Women, it seems like Emory’s self-defense PE class would be a step in the necessary direction; recognizing the advantage that men have over women. This, however, does not get to the root of the problem which is the ability of men to dismiss their dominance and reconstruct the power structure. This is why I think that the PE class should be open to men. I think it would benefit men to be aware of what goes on in a class like that, to listen to the things this professor (however controversial his handouts), and even learn to defend themselves. If a class can exist based on the social construct of gender, what’s next? A class that discriminates based on race?? No gains can be made in the visibility of the “knapsack” when we are denied information, especially that which is based on reality. Only then can we achieve what is close to a society based on equality.

Rachel C said...

Scare tactics are effective as immediate motivators because they get your attention. Parents are all about them, and they have definitely worked on me. When I was too young to care about my own empowerment, my mother's instructions about what to do if I got abducted by a stranger still stuck with me and kept me on my toes. Maybe at first it's necessary to be shocked into realizing the ways in which you should be able to protect yourself, but you shouldn't have to live in constant fear. I love the points that have been brought up about being aware vs. being terrified into taking precautions, as well as the questions about why we have to be so afraid in the first place. Also, I think the above comment is a great argument for allowing men to participate in these sorts of classes. If women only express their fears among themselves, how are we ever going to make them more visible?