Sunday, December 9, 2007

Something I Missed Regarding my Practicum

After receiving feedback on my activist presentation I have decided to reflect on my experience and explore a connection with the readings that I had not done previously. One reading that directly affected my activist practicum was “White Privilege, Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” by Peggy McIntosh. This article explains the advantages that whites especially white males possess and are unaware of. It was not until now that I was truly aware of the privileges I assumed while performing my practicum. I was able to volunteer with the Pediatric Advanced Care Team where I did my best to act out the organization’s mission statement, “To improve the quality of life for children with life-limiting conditions and that of their families” because of my mother’s position at the hospital. Because my mom is on the board of the Children’s Hospital Foundation I was granted special rights and privileges at the hospital.

Until now I have never really stopped to think twice about those privileges. I was a perfect example of what Peggy McIntosh was describing. In her article she states, “I think whites are carefully taught not to recognize white privilege.” I would not say that I was intentionally trying to ignore the privileges given to me just because I am white, but that I am just used to receiving those privileges. I walked into that pediatric intensive care unit without being questioned and was warmly received by the nurses. This occurred first and foremost because I knew them from my own stay in the hospital but also because I had a “privileged” physical appearance. Peggy McIntosh has identified all of the privileges given to her that she was typically unaware of because she was white and I have now identified another example to add to her long list. I greatly enjoyed participating in my activist practicum not only because I love spending times with the kids, but also because it open up my eyes a privilege that I was not aware of. I don’t think a person without connections would have been able to perform my practicum and I really wish that that was something I had shared with the class because I think it is a very important aspect of my practicum that I had missed.

3 comments:

dj MC said...

I think it’s really cool that you were able to make a personal connection to one of the readings. This “Invisible Knapsack” is especially difficult to recognize and I think that this class works towards opening our eyes. I definitely agree that you had a special privilege to be able to do what you did in the hospital, but this is an interesting point. McIntosh mentions that racism puts people at a disadvantage at the same time that whites are put at an advantage that they usually do not recognize. She mentions that people with the advantage tend to be “morally neutral” and don’t do anything to give up this privilege. The question of whether or not people earn the privilege comes up in the article as well. This ties to your practicum because it poses the question to you as to whether or not you deserved the opportunity to capitalize on the privilege or if you should have given it up for the sake of denouncing “white” privilege.
In the end, McIntosh says that we must redefine racism as not necessarily discriminating against a particular race but rather as an unspoken dominance. She says that knowledge of this invisible knapsack should serve to reconstruct the power hierarchy. I’m not sure what the solution was to your practicum regarding this theory, but I do believe that even making your particular knapsack visible is a step in the right direction.

scotch3m said...

We are all privileged. We are privileged to be receiving the quality education that we are currently receiving. I would bet that most of Emory’s students are privileged outside of their education. Should we all be deemed as sinners for being given privilege without ever having to work for it? The person we strive to be is shaped by what we chose to do with our inherent privilege. I think that using a privilege to help children in a hospital is an honorable deed. I would go so far to say “improving the quality of life for children with life-limiting conditions” is one of the best ways to deal handle being privileged.

I think it is fantastic that you noticed that you were only able to perform your activist practicum because you appear like a trustworthy white young woman. Knowing that you appear in such a manner, I hope that you continue to use this privilege to help others. In the same light, I hope that the members of our class use the privilege of the information we have been given through this class to continue to strive for equality and aid people in need.

trweinb said...

While I agree that you were a recipient of White privilege, it's great that you made the connection and acknowledged your advantage. However, I believe it is what you did with your privilege that truly matters. Everyday people receive unearned privileges but do not realize them and if they do, do nothing about them. You, on the other hand, used your privilege to help others in need. Should you have abandoned that privilege just because you did not earn it? What if everyone did that? Many volunteers are able to help others because they have connections with organizations. For example, I was able to help an organization rebuild houses in New Orleans last fall break. I was given this opportunity at a very cheap price because I am an Emory student and the project was through our school. I am able to attend Emory because of several unearned privileges. However, should I have not volunteered in New Orleans? Again, I point to the idea that it is what people do with their White privilege that counts.