Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Audrey Lorde- activist of the highest degree

Audrey Lorde has made me think about the view of society, question my own values, search for the key to my own happiness, and spur me to act. Her personal story about breast cancer as a search for her own self, not for her lost 'femininity' and liver cancer as a quest for control over her own body moved me deeply. I did not realize how much discomfort professionals had when dealing with people who are deviations from the norm (especially in terms of appearance). It seems to be a common trait for our society to deny any wrong-doings. For example, we talked about sterilization as a type of population control used to solve economic problems such as unemployment, crime, and disparities. The society would not try and solve the problem by making jobs so that these people that were the 'undesirables' of the superior could make their own lives and be independent people. In Lorde's articles, society is guilty of emphasizing the female as one defined in a set appearance (large breasts, large bottom, hourglass curves, tanned skin.... ... just pick up a magazine and you get the idea).

I agree that appearance is really important to women (or we are raised that way). In order to do well in society with less hindrance, one dresses in a way to portrays that person as one who is professional, well-dressed, sensible and responsible. To make a lasting first impression, one uses the accepted rules of society to be accepted by others. One way people become more accepted is through plastic surgery is so popular, especially among females of all ages. My first encounter with plastic surgery occurred when I was in fifth grade. My piano teacher told me she was going to get plastic surgery so that she would have a higher bridge (in imitation of the high European nose). I did not understand back them what was "wrong" with the nose she had (since who has surgery except to correct something that is wrong?). When (not if) the populace will accept all different kinds of people for all being amazing, everyone can live in a happier place. For now, we, as readers of feminist articles and texts, can spread the awareness through our own activist thoughts and actions. By exposing ourselves to the different spectra that are all humans, we can fight the preconceived notions that society places on us.

1 comment:

LeeLeeA503 said...

Lorde makes some very interesting points in her article. I like the fact that decided to embrace her body without a breast. Breasts are associated so much with femininity and many women don't have the confidence that Lorde had to not wear a prosthetic breast. I believe that Lorde's bravery and confidence is what all women should possess regardless of their situations.