Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Medical Experimentation

Even though we watched the film La operacion a few classes ago, this film has stayed with me. This film presents a powerful take on medical experimentation and the rampant racism that existed and still exists in our world. The forced sterilization of these women was ethically and morally wrong. The women were misinformed (if they were informed at all) about what was taking place because many thought that they could have children later on if they so desired. The misogynistic structure of society is revealed in this piece because in the vast majority of the cases in this film the information and consent forms were given to the husbands. Also, the idea of male sterilization, which is much less invasive than female sterilization, was never pursued as an actual possibility. Another fact that clearly indicates the subjugation of women is that the city leaders who were implementing these plans were male. An aspect of this coercive sterilization process that surprised me was the fact that women employees were the ones that went and solicited the poor women to come in and be sterilized! 
The sterilization program in Puerto Rico preyed on a class and group of society that had no means of protecting themselves. This is a common theme that we have already seen in the article on Sim's experimentation on slave women, and the treatment of intersex individuals and their families.  Other groups of society that were clearly targeted and abused by medical experiments because of their minority status in America were Native Americans, Alaskan Natives, and African Americans. I found Smith's article on medical experimentation in Native communities to be particularly chilling because these were horrible experiments that were done on these communities and yet these atrocities have still have not received the national recognition that they should. The minority status of these groups allows people of others races and backgrounds to distance themselves from these people and dehumanize them to the degree that allows for this medical experimentation. This is a problem that is very relevant for our modern society because lots of drug testing and other types of medical experimentation are moving over seas to Africa and other places. We have allowed and are allowing groups of people that have no means of protecting themselves because of their position in our modern day society to be exploited. This clearly emphasizes the need for ethical guidelines and a stronger public interest in the doings of pharmaceutical companies and medicine in general. 

4 comments:

Tina A said...

I definitely agree with you. The idea that a group of people can be used in order to benefit someone else as much wrong as it is disturbing. I do not think it is fair that we can use some people as guinea pigs for experimentation. By doing so, I do not think we are any different than the atrocities that occurred during the Holocaust. No one has the right to manipulate/use/experiment with someone, especially if his/her actions may affect the health of the individual.

Anya said...

I have an ovarian condition that “requires” me to take hormonal birth control (so my gynecologist says) and my body has not tolerated it well. I already feel like a science experiment having to try a second, third, fourth, and fifth type of pill. But during this entire ordeal I have had access to the internet, to an education, and to other gynecologists for second opinions. Because I have the opportunity to seek alternative medical treatment, I have not left the care of my body in another’s hands. Furthermore, I have the luxury, or “knapsack” privilege, to stand up for myself if I feel I am being mistreated by my doctors. After reading your entry and thinking back on La Operacion, I realized how horrified I would be if I were in the position of those Puerto Rican women. Specifically, I am remembering the women who were asked to take hormonal birth control for monetary compensation. In reality, they were not “asked” by pressured and threatened into acting as guinea pigs for American medicine. Having a doctor insist that you should take a pill is scary. But being forced to take unknown pills with little explanation and no regard for their side-effects is terrifying and incredibly unethical.

zzahari said...

I strongly agree with you. I was really shocked when we watched the movie in class and became introduced with such sterilization program. It is sad that experimentations with humang beings continue develop. No one has the right to take a way the women's ability of creating a life. This is our natural way of reproduction and we have to take special cares to save it. I think that such type of experimentation should be forbid, but people should also be more concerned for their physical health.

LeeLeeA503 said...

I completely agree with you. It is sad to think that the government would give people birth control that is 50 times the recommended dosage! Women who take the recommended doses are still at risk for complications so just imagine what these women in Puerto Rico were experiencing. Some of the risks associated with birth control include blood clots and weight gain. Just imagine those symptoms fifty times more likely to happen. The injustice that was done to these women is inhumane.