Wednesday, February 6, 2008

"I Can Fix It!" vs. "White Privilege"

These two approaches toward lessening racism were extremely different, and I definitely favored the "White Privilege" article over "I Can Fix It!"
McIntosh had an approach that was self-critical and more detailed in how exactly she felt that her skin color allowed her to gain benefits that others may not get. She brought up points that many people may not have thought of, such as seeing people of her race being represented on tv. She sounded earnest and intelligent in her article.
The article by Ayo was one I didn't like. It seemed childish and a little condescending on both the white and people of color accounts. The presentation and tone of voice (like, "Remember that white people have a lot of learning to do") made the article seem like a joke, and while there were good points in the reading, I didn't really take it seriously. Some of the suggestions, like carrying a copy of the pamphlet around, seemed ridiculous. If someone whipped it out to show me how I could be less racist, I'd be insulted. Also, Ayo seems to not only be implying that all white people are racist, but that they are all aware of their racism. Racism is a strong word, and I doubt that a lot of people would use that term on themselves. She also seems to be implying that people of color are not racist, which I feel is a moot point. If someone really wanted to fix their racist attitudes with an open mind and willingness, the would be a good first step, but I think Ayo could definitely have used a bit more subtlety and a more personal approach to writing this pamphlet.

1 comment:

cait said...

I agree with your statement that Ayo's article seemed pretty condescending. There are many statements she makes that are very pointed and sometimes big generalizations - funny when that's what she is technically fighting against. Not all white people are racist. That is a very strong word. And although not perfect, the world we live in today is much different from pre-civil rights movement. It is interesting that she implies that people of color aren't racist when it is clearly possible for racism to go both ways. We should be open minded. We should seek change. But being demeaning in your attempt to inspire change will not make people listen.