Tuesday, September 25, 2007

My Experiences with White Privilege

Peggy McIntosh's article "White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack" really got me thinking about the many benefits I have experienced in life due to my skin color. First, like McIntosh mentioned, "flesh" toned band aids. Sadly, it wasn't until I saw an aid in a magazine, roughly two years ago, that I realized band aids are made specifically for "white" customers. In addition, I have never struggled with finding a concealer that matches my skin tone.

Second, growing up in Cleveland, I have witnessed and heard of numerous acts of racism. "Driving While Black", commonly referred to as DWB, was and is a common occurrence in Cleveland. I have had several friends stoped by police for no reason at all except that they were black and therefore, suspicious. In addition, groups of African American teenagers were often times questioned by police and asked to leave certain areas while a group of white students nearby was completely ignored by police.

One incident, that clearly depicts "White Privilege" and that strongly stands out in my mind, occurred during my senior year in high school. My friend once told me about an encounter he had with a police officer while walking home from football practice. A police officer pulled up next to my friend and told him to stop walking. The officer questioned my friend as to why he was out and not at home to which my friend replied, "I am walking home from practice." The officer obviously didn't care for this statement and asked my friend for his drivers license and school ID. Not until further questioning did the officer allow my friend to continue home. Apparently, there was search out for a criminal who was described as an African American male. Upon finishing his story, my friend told me that this has happened to him and friends on several other occasions. I was completely shocked to say the least. I, nor any of my white friends, have ever been asked by police for identification while casually walking down the street. To know that my friend was considered suspicious because of the color of his skin greatly appalled me. The idea of "White Privilege" is still very apparent in today's society.

1 comment:

Katie said...

I'm glad you brought this up. I grew up in Colorado, and we have these problems as well. Colorado, being a Western and newly populated state, likes to think of itself as "progressive" in the area of race relations. Sadly, I have not found this to be the case. One of my friends was also pulled over for no reason, and the only plausible cause we could come up with was his race. Luckily, he wasn't ticketed or anything, but this guy was the valedictorian of our class, president of the National Honor Society, and the safest driver I know. He seemed to have these kinds of issues a lot, and I felt as if his race (first African-American to do this or that at our school, etc.) was brought up a little too frequently. Hopefully, tehis can change with our generation, and I believe it starts with individuals rather than a collective effort.