Thursday, September 20, 2007

Transsexualism and Religion

Many religious hierarchs claim that transsexualism "does not exist" (The Vatican said this in 2000) or that transsexuals are going against God's true path for them. Contrarily to this belief, Ludo in Ma Vie En Rose believes that God intended him to be a girl. He tells an innocent story to his friend, explaining that God intended for him to have an XX chromosome pair and that it was a "scientific error" that made him a boy. If anything, Ludo expresses a distrust for science, not for God. He hopes that God will "fix it." This childlike optimism is a trait I think the adult world could adopt: acknowledging differences or problems, but having faith that they can someday be "fixed" or even celebrated.

I am a Greek Orthodox Christian, and after seeing the movie, I did some online research to see the official stance of the Orthodox Church on transsexualism. I expected to find something negative about transsexuals, but I surprisingly found absolutely nothing. The Church does not even recognize transsexualism as an issue. I found this more disturbing than the bitterest diatribe against transgendered people. When I was a child, I felt that the presence of transsexuals implied that God had made a mistake, and since God doesn't make mistakes, transsexuals must only be very confused people. Now, I tend to side with Ludo: being born of a gender that is not yours is no different than being born with another difference from the norm. Everyone has their biological and emotional variances, and their mere existence does not automatically mean that God doesn't exist. Therefore, I believe the religious argument "against" the existence of transsexualism is based in prejudice and fear, not in biology or theology.

No comments: