Monday, September 24, 2007

Peggy McIntosh’s article “White Privilege: Unpacking the Invisible Knapsack” was definitely an eye opener. My education on racism is in line with McIntosh’s in that I would define racism as visible acts of violence or suppression instead of the dominance acquired by invisible privileges. I think that white people in general do get to enjoy most of the advantages obtained from invisible privileges that McIntosh has listed. For example, I would agree with McIntosh’s second condition about how it is easier for a white person to move and find a new home than a black person, especially when I have heard comments such as “there goes the neighborhood” when a black person moves into a white neighborhood. This hostile comment comes with the understood meaning that the blacks will cause a decrease in property value and an increase in crime. Some of the conditions listed I had not even considered to be an advantage. For example, in number 26 McIntosh points out the fact that most bandages come in light skin tone colors rather than dark skin tone colors.

I think a prime example of the advantages obtained by the invisible privileges of whites in recent news is the Jena 6 incident, which coincides with 24 of McIntosh’s list. I will give a summary of the Jena 6 incident for those of you who haven’t heard (I just found out myself this past Friday). The whole thing started in December when some black students from Jena High School sat under a tree where white students usually hang out. Afterwards some white students hung nooses from a branch of the tree. Supposedly the white students who did this only received suspension. This of course caused a lot of racial tension which led to some fights, but there were never any reports of anyone being seriously injured. However, that same month, a group of 6 black male students beat a white boy with their shoes until he was unconscious. The white boy had to go to the hospital, but later that day he went to a party. The 6 teenage black students were expelled from school and were charged as adults with felony offenses including attempted murder. The charges, though, have been lowered to battery.

As we can see the white students have the unfair advantage of the law helping them and not working against them as stated in condition 24 of McIntosh’s list. It is especially unfortunate that it turns out that justice in our country is not blind, but instead views the accused with biased eyes when determining innocence or guilt.

2 comments:

beach125 said...

I was originally supposed to lead the class discussion on the article on "White Privilege", but when it came time for me to think of ideas of how to lead such a discussion my mind was blank. Reading this article, I agree with you that I too would define racism as visible acts of violence or suppression instead of the dominance acquired by invisible privileges. In reading the list of those invisible privileges that McIntosh provided I felt that my eyes were really opened up to so many advantages that I had that I never realized I had received simply because of my skin color. For me personally, prior to coming to Emory, and I have only been a month I really never had any interaction with people of another race, religion, or social class other than that of my own. I went to an all girls catholic high school where 99.9% of the school was white and the area where I lived was defined by the same quota. Sitting just in our class every day is a new expereience for me to be able to discuss such topic of race, gender, and class, with people who are not exactly like me and I know that a new diverse environment is something that I needed in my life. As for the bandages that you've mentioned, which we also discussed in class. I really never thought about that until today. And the fact that people of a darker skin tone have a much more difficult time finding skin products is something that I never really thought of before.
You mention the recent news of the Jena 6 incident, which until now I have not heard anything about. I can't believe that white students would hang nooses from the branch of a tree because black students sat where white students typically are found. I would like to hope that our society was past incidents like that, but I suppose as long as people are narrow minded and believe that the color of their skin gives them a superiority over another then we will continue to have problems of those sort. As for the fact that those students only received a suspension, then that is the fault of the administration of their school and something should be done with regards to that matter. What makes matters even worse and makes me even more confused over the issue of why does skin color matter in regards to how a student is punished is the fact that you mention that 6 male students were expelled for beating up a white student and were charged as adults with felony offenses. I really just don't understand why black or white matters in regards to disciplining a student, a hate crime is a hate crime, a fight is a fight, why does appearance have to play a role. I understand that the way our society is still structured today it does, I just wish it didn't.
This invisible "white privilege" is something that is no longer invisible to me, but I also just wish that the differences between races, gender, and social classes could either be a little more invisible, or not so prevalent in our society today.

Rachel C said...

Ever since our dicussion on Monday, I have not been able to get over the fact that I had never even considered how difficult it is for women who aren't white to find makeup or pantyhose or whatever is supposed to be skin toned. Maybe it's silly, but I can't get past that enough to even think about the more blatant and serious examples of racism right now. I keep imagining running into CVS to grab some emergency concealer and not having any options. It's just another one of those everyday white privileges I never even knew I had. And the fact that the colors "nude" and "buff" and "flesh-toned" are almost always synonymous with beige has also freaked me out. That really implies that white is what is natural.

I found a website about language and racism that uses bandaids and makeup as examples in its definition of "cultural racism": http://www.evaluationtoolsforracialequity.org/termRacial.htm

This never came up in class, but have you ever wondered how men who want to wear makeup go about buying it?