Thursday, September 20, 2007

What would you do?

I felt that our conversation in class about Ma Vie En Rose was one of the best yet. In class, we raised every issue I had thought of while watching the movie. Some great questions were raised, not to mention even better answers. We covered everything from French suburbia, to marriage politics, and obviously transexualism vs. homosexuality and a child’s experience with gender identity.

Rarely, though, did we make any personal connections with the film. Maybe everyone was a little afraid to admit to similar sexual identity confusions, though one blogger shared a similar experience of crossdressing. In other discussions in class, one person always poses the question of what we would do if confronted with the same situation or if we’ve ever experienced something similar, but here we opted for close analysis of the film rather than personal narratives. Maybe we just had so much to say about the film. But in any case, I thought I’d post that question here:

  1. Does anyone remember childhood memories that mirror Ludo?
  2. What would you do your child experienced a similar crisis? Would you opt for the psychologist? Would you encourage him/her to be themselves? How would you explain the situation to the child? Would it just be a phase?

These are all questions we talked about, but only in relation to the characters in the film. Like our discussion about sex change operations, I thought I would take the time here to answer some of mine personally. In talking about a intersex utopia, most of us admitted that we would take the “easier route” and choose surgery for ourselves or our children. (Please correct me if I’m wrong with this generalization.) We even said that while a utopia of no gender/sex distinctions would be great, it probably would not be realized. I know these statements seem close minded on the surface, but it’s the truth. Our society places so much pressure on black and white definitions that I would want my child to lead the “easiest” life they could while still allowing them to be themselves. With the intersex issue that would mean whatever sex they physically resemble the most. With homosexuality/ transexuality, it’s a little tougher to choose what would be “easier” in society and still allow them to be who they are, especially at a young age. If Ludo was my son, I feel ashamed to say I would do a lot of the same things the parents in the film did. I would probably go through a stage of “it’s just a phase” ignorance, then a psychologist, and then maybe even anger and also guilt. I only hope I would reach the same end point Ludo’s mother reached: the point of acceptance.

I think this was what the film was getting at. We will never be sure from the ending of the movie whether or not Ludo was accepted in this new community or even later in his life, but we do know that his mother realized something important; she realized she would love him no matter what. That’s what the film maker wanted us to take from it, and that’s what I would try to attain with my own child. Even if society may not understand, I would want to eventually. Perhaps only after this type of difficult period would I understand, accept, and re-love my child. But I would want to reach that point, and not despite their sexuality, but because that makes up such an important part of my child.

4 comments:

Rachel C said...

When I was in elementary school, 5th grade I think, I hated going to school so much that I'd throw a raging fit in the parking lot in my mom's car every single morning. I was the new kid, really shy, and my teacher kept pulling me aside to make sure I was OK because I was so quiet. Sometimes my mom ended up just taking me back home because she didn't know what else to do when she could not physically make me go into the building. I wore her down to the point that I ended skipping school for something like two weeks straight. My pediatrician, who I guess was doubling as a psychologist for the afternoon, had to give me a little talk about having to swim with the other fish sometimes.

We joke about it now, but it's hard to believe I put my poor mother through that. I can't imagine being a parent and trying to force your child to face the world when they feel so outcast. It must be hearbreaking, not to mention frustrating. I'm sure I would turn to professional help if I ever had a problem with my child that I couldn't figure out how to handle on my own. Parents want their kids to be happy and, let's face it, often times that means helping them fit in. It's so important to appreciate our differences, but when I think back to myself at Ludo's age - there is nothing that I wanted more than to be like everyone else.

A New View said...

Never would I refer to professional help if my child seemed or appeared sexually confused. It is extremely important that he/she lives out the experience and makes the decision for him/herself regarding whether or not he/she is homosexual, transexual, or what today's society describes as "normal." Inviting professional help seems disasterous as doing so will sway the child on his beliefs about his own gender and sexuality. I would personally support my child with all of his/her decisions regarding gender and sexuality, enforcing that I support whatever decision he makes.

emorycmh said...

It's hard to imagine putting myself in the position of a parent having to face any of the situations with my children that we've discussed in class thus far. When we first started the unit on intersex and I considered what to do if I was in that situation, I thought it was pretty obvious that everyone would have their child have the surgery. Now that we've gone deeper into the subject and discussed it in depth, I feel completely different. If I were to have a child that was born with ambiguous genitalia/considered intersex, I would not choose the surgery. Unless there was some life-threatening medical reason for it of course. While I would choose to raise the child as either a boy or a girl, it would be their choice when they were older whether they would want the surgery.
In a similar manner, I'm still thinking about what I would do if I were Ludo's parent. I agree with "a new view" in that I don't think taking them to a doctor is going to do anything other than enforce the idea that what they're doing and who they are is wrong. Even if it's not considered what's "normal" it's important to accept and support your child for who they are and not try to change that.

Paula said...

Hi! Great blog site, very interesting and wide ranging topics and very thoughtful and considered viewpoints! The course sounds great!

I have a question to pose, tho': Why do people writing about transgender or transsexual people use the term "confusion"? Who is confused...and about what?

It seemed to me that Ludo was quite clear - as much as a young child can be - about "his" self and the predicament in having that self juxtaposed to the contrary viewpoints of family and society.

Every time I read the term "confused" in relation to gender identity I search hard back through my memories as a "late -transitioning" transsexual woman but cannot find any time even in childhood when I felt that distress that comes from needing to know something but not knowing what the answer or solution is. Of course, I cannot speak for everyone but in all the transsexual narratives that I can remember reading, "confusion" doesn't seem to figure prominently, if at all. The meaning of the medical diagnosis of dysphoria is distress or discomfort not confusion!

I remember feeling very definite about who I was and what I should do about it - keep secret and safe mostly for most of my life. In mid-life I made a definite change in what I was going to do about it and embarked on the scary course of transition. Yesterday I was married to a very beautiful man.

I think that the use of the term "confusion" betrays a non-transsexual centric perspective that also could do with some useful "unpacking"!

Thanks, for the great site! Paula