Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Activism On Emory's Campus

I'm really glad Professor Bailey asked us the question in class today about activism on Emory's campus. Many of us had a lot to say about the issue, mainly expressing our concerns with our generation Q (as I believe Aimi called it).
It's certainly true. We are a quiet group. While I do feel that we have issues on our minds, we aren't the best, as a whole, at using those ideas to create much social change. There are though, people who do feel the need to get involved and help our communities, large or small.
I am not sure what the problem is with Emory specifically...why we are apathetic or inactive, or why we seem to hide our activism if we do, in fact, participate. Does it have something to do with our class? Gender? Race? Does activism vary between these groups? Or are we really a product of our internet and electronic generation that led us to this quiet/apathetic nature?
I am not sure of the cause, but I do know that Emory has a lot of opportunity that I KNOW many people on campus aren't aware of...
Let's take Volunteer Emory for example. I happen to work closely with VE, supervising all of the special events, service trips, and every staff member we have. Community service opportunities are probably the more widely known opportunities through campus. Someone mentioned the stress we place on community service (and I think it's an important one, but sometimes stressed for the wrong reasons), but there is a difference between volunteering and activism in many cases.
Right now we are in the middle of VE's Earth Week. We are trying to promote sustainable service and environmental habits through various activities (in fact I saw Diogo at 'Green on the Screen'...just thought I'd give her a shout out). People seem to sign up for the volunteering events, but don't want to write letters to Governor Perdue about decreasing the amount of coal-fired power plants in Georgia. I don't know if this is the best example, but it does show something about our behavior relating to activism.

Anyone have anymore thoughts about this?

I frequently get upset with Emory students for not caring, but as cheesy as it sounds, if I can convince just one person to do something...

6 comments:

nrnaik said...

I agree that there is a divide between volunteering and actual activism on campus. Maybe it's not "cool" to put yourself out there? When I see groups on campus, however rarely, trying to promote or implement social change, people just walk past them...and I have to admit that I've done the same. I think it's hard to respond passionately when the majority of students here are living in a sort of privileged bubble. We mentioned this in class, and I agree with it. Also, there are so many ills in the world that we are constantly bombarded with. It's important to pick one that you are passionate about and stick with it rather than giving up and slipping into back into complacency. Of course, I think there are a variety of factors that are paralyzing our generation. Hopefully, this isn't getting worse with those who are younger than us.

Stephanie said...

I agree..it's not fair to yourself or the cause if you get involved blindly and don't invest into it.

Since Professor Bailey mentioned it, I went and stood with the protestors this past Tuesday and talked to a few of them about the issue with the war. I am definitely anti-war, but it gave me a different perspective on the whole issue. I learned things I don't see on the news or read in newspapers.
I urge everyone to come out next Tuesday if you're interested. I'll be there!!

Alice said...

I agree with everything that was stated in the previous posts on Emory student's involvement in activism both on and off campus. As I jokingly state with my friends, "we live in an Emory bubble." Before our conversation of activism, this was merely a joke, but now I see it as a sad truth. Very few people on campus get involved promoting specific positions or issues and when they attempt to get others interested, like at Wonderful Wednesday, the students they approach shrug their shoulders and run off to their next class, lunch, or anything that will get them out of talking about the issue. I don't know why students do not want to educate themselves on different issues or at least get involved with different programs on campus, but I definitely think that something needs to be done in order to spark interest. As we already said, as a school that attracts intelligent students, we are part of the generation that can make a difference. If everyone was passionate about one issue and then proceeded to educate their friends...and continue the chain of knowledge, we could instill limitless ends of change.

Class Act said...

Sadly, many of us are focused on trying to better themselves and putting the best possible image of ourselves out for the world to see. Everyone is so busy with classes and doing well in school that there seems to be little time to actually do meaningful work to change. Add to this the fact that difficult tasks seem daunting and may dismayed people from trying. This is not meant to be an excuse for the lack of activism on campus, just my observation. I think activist is like recycling. During one of our class sessions, we talked about how even though Emory has made it very easy for people to recycle by placing plastic, paper and aluminum cans near trash cans, yet some still place recyclable materials in the trash can because they feel the little bit they do will not make a difference. Just like recycling, we just need to continue to make it easier to participate in activist work

Maria said...

Wow - the recycling analogy is really a good one, I think. We all know that we should do something, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone does. Like recycling, though, one can start becoming aware through small adjustments, and gradually those smaller steps lead to bigger strides. I think this class has been particularly valuable in indicating the need for us to get involved in something - and create a community to share our work and thoughts.

NerdyCrew said...

I guess some of the reasons that most of Emory population is apathetic toward activism are socioeconomic status and busy academic schedule. A lot of us on campus is less affected by issues we dealt with in class such as racism, lack of health care and prejudice against people with disability. However, it did not occur to me until someone mentioned in the class that those of us who are fortunate enough to belong to upper middle or upper class have much resources to make changes in the world. Not only in many of our parents has economic and political resources, but we ourselves are highly educated. This class helped me to aware what is going on around me more keenly. There are couple issues that I am passionate about, in particular. And I would like to carry it out even when I go to medical school. Educating one another on campus about social issues and also on the resources we have that can make changes seem very important thing to do.