Friday, April 11, 2008

Positive Change...

I thought the article "No Remedy for the Inuit: Accountability for Environmental Harms under U.S. and International Law" by Anne E. Lucas really connected with what is going on in the United States today, especially considering that this week is the National Public Health Week. One of the major initiatives that is being addressed is the role of the change in climate on our nation's health. By highlighting how the climate can negatively affect our health, not only does this educate on how we can make healthier decisions for ourselves, but it also encourages us to be appreciative of our environment. It's a win-win situation. Here's the website for National Public Health Week:

http://www.nphw.org/nphw08/default.htm

I feel that there is a lot of potential for everyone to become more aware of how our actions negatively affect the environment, and in some cases, the health of other people. However, implementing such positive change is difficult. Although making recycling more accessible to everyone is a start, I do not believe that we're going to have much change until everyone begins to really pay attention to what is occurring with our environment. The only way that this can occur, however, is by everyone caring about the world around them. Like we mentioned in class, the pace of life in the United States is too fast. No one cares about anyone else, it's every man for himself. Once we slow down our lifestyle, then positive change will occur. I feel that our society today is just one big competition; in order to stay on top, you have to accomplish a great amount in a short period of time. Rather than always competing with someone else, I think we need to start focusing on what everyone can offer as a group. By doing so, not only will we be able to work more effectively as a unit, we'll begin to see some of the positive changes that our environment needs.

3 comments:

Anya said...

I glad you mentioned recycling. Recycling is one change that has everything to do with pace of life. It seems we are too busy, have too many places to go, and too little spare brainpower to make a real effort. How many times have you been on campus with a recyclable container and thought you didn’t have to time find a receptacle? That is was the school’s/administration’s/receptacle’s fault that it wasn’t there right when you needed it. At least, that’s how I justify not recycling the glass Fuze bottles I use every week. Yet if we slowed down just a bit and realized that carrying around a bottle for an extra hour (while we located the bin) was not a tragedy, how many resources could we save?
Thinking locally, I would also like to address Atlanta’s problem: the slow and almost non-existent city recycling program. I worked with an avid Atlanta recycler last year who started an organization based on Atlanta’s lack of recycling options for businesses. In addition, there are several well-formed organizations, my favorite of which is “Keep Atlanta Beautiful” that promote recycling all over the city. Here is there website if anyone is interested:

http://www.keepatlantabeautiful.org/aboutus.asp

Positive changes are definitely needed globally, but never underestimate the effect of small changes we make in our daily lives and communities.

cait said...

I agree that recycling is a small and simple way that we can all start to change things together. I like going to school at Emory and being around campus because we do have a lot more recycling receptacles than anywhere I have lived before. It is really not a large inconvenience to carry around a bottle for only an hour longer so that you can toss it in the right bin. The important thing though, I think, is making it habit. Lots of us throw things away in the trash can automatically, not just out of convenience, but out of condition. We are taught from a young age that that is where our trash belongs. This is why education is so important. The power of teachers and parents is so taken for granted. We need to redefine trash. If we were taught from a young age that plastics are not trash, but plastics, and so belong in the plastics bin… then throwing a bottle into a regular trash can wouldn’t even be an option. It would be like throwing trash into a blatantly designated recycling bin just because it’s closer: It doesn’t really happen that often. You just don’t do it, it’s against the rules. People would find you somewhat disrespectful. Similarly, if taught to recycle from a young age, throwing a plastic bottle in the plastic bottle bin would just be something that you do. Today, I feel proud of myself every time I recycle. But beyond that, if taught at a young age, it wouldn’t even be something extra for the environment, something to be proud of, it would just be done without thinking.

Stephanie said...

I agree. Upon meeting my roommate, I found out that she was an avid recycler...something I wanted to get into, but never really found out the facts. Now I know that pretty much EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING that I use to eat/drink out of everyday can be recycled. My fear of upsetting her drove me into the recycling craze, which I'm really glad about, but I now get so upset when I don't see people recycling or people not taking it seriously. It is a question of habit...Caitlin is right. I try my hardest to recycle everything that can be recycled because now that I have gone the extra hour to find a bin, it doesn't even bother me anymore to hang onto things.
I also try my hardest to tell other people about it...not that they don't know what recyling is but that they can just hold onto it or give it to me and I'll recycle it for them.
People look at me funny when I dig out plastic bottles from the top of the trash can, which might be fine since it's kind of gross, but I do it so people realize that it's possible to care about recycling and it's possible to think about without stressing over it.

Here's some fun facts for everyone, so I hope you can start:
Mixed paper means almost anything. I break down cereal boxes, empty toilet paper rolls, empty paper towel rolls, receipts, envelopes, all of it.
Don't trash it. Make a pile in a box in your room and make an effort to take it to the bin every week.
It really doesn't take effort. If you have a roommate tell her/him about it and do it together, take turns. It can be a good study break (and maybe exercise) if you have a lot of it!

Ok that's a long enough rant for me...thanks for listening ladies. We really can turn this thing around.