Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Lesbian Bodies

I was really interested by Barbara Creed's article "Lesbian Bodies: Tribades, Tomboys, and Tarts". The author touched the idea of sexuality which can exist between women. In the past, lesbians were defined as "different" than other people and they were treated as breakers of the established social order. The Government considered, that lesbians can lead society to collapse, but through the years it decided to change its attitude toward these women.

Nowadays, the stance which mankind has toward lesbians is different, for example, such women can be married. Even though there are still some communities in the world which are more conservative and words like "lesbian" and "gay" are not appropriate for their cultures. I think that Barbara Creed tried to explain to the audience that even lesbians should be considered as "normal" human beings who deserve to exercise their sexual orientations. I think that these women should be accepted as the way they are and society should try to understand their emotions and preferences.

I have a friend who is a lesbian and she is a very kind and nice person. The relationship between her girlfriend and her is very strong and both of them enjoy it. I cannot really understand their feelings and experience, but I am pretty sure that they are one of the best couples I have ever seen. They both come from extremely pious families which is a problem for them to consume their love. This is a brief example of how religion stays between people's feelings. I am a pious person too, but as Shakespeare said:"Love is blind", I think that everyone should spend his or her life with the person they love in spite of all negative stance around them.

No comments: