Tuesday, April 15, 2008

La operacion

The movie called "La operacion" by Ana Maria Garcia which we watched in class made me think about the life which people in Puerto Rico had. During the movie I was trying to answer so many of my questions, for example: How did these women feel after the sterilization?; What did they think about this "medical method"?; Was it a Government exploitation?, etc.

This movie is a very good representation of women's exploitation in Puerto Rico. They were forced to be a part of a medical experimentation which was compulsory for all of them. The sterilization which almost every woman experienced was violation of their own rights. I cannot really understand how people can be manipulated like that and also be treated not as equal. For me, the worse part of the whole sterilization process was the lack of information which these Puerto Rican women had. I became a witness of a terrible attitude which doctors exercised among their patients.

One of the interesting questions for me was: "Why sterilization took place in Puerto Rico"? I think that this medical method was introduced there , because the majority of people were not educated and we all know that if people do not have the needed knowledge, they will have less doubts about sterilization like these women had. For me, the Government had the main responsibility of using sterilization among these poor people. It was trying to minimize the number of uneducated people and also to solve the problem with world's over-population. Even though, I do not agree with its brutal politic of sterilization, because the pain which these weak people suffered cannot be redempted. I know that over-population is one of the biggest and most complicated problems nowadays, but the method which the Government choose to overwhelm it has to be changed, because every human being deserves the right to live in peace.

No comments: