Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Wrap-up...

I really enjoyed the activist practicum presentations today. It was really interesting to see how we, as college students, can make a difference in our community. I also found it remarkable of how many activist focused organizations there are on and off campus. Although the presence of such groups is great when trying to implement positive change, I feel that hearing and being active in such groups may be difficult. For instance, I probably would have never heard of the Atlanta Feminist Women's Health Center (the organization I observed for my activist practicum) had I not taken this class. When speaking about organizations that are found on campus, I believe that although we hear about the services that each group offers, we do not necessarily take part in them. I know for me at least, by having to research about different organizations, I was able to not only become more aware of what types of groups existed, but I now really want to become more active. On the other side, students may be aware of what different groups exist, but they're not necessarily sure how they can get involved to lend a helping hand.

Overall, I just wanted to express how much I enjoyed taking this class. I learned so much about issues that I had never really thought of. Furthermore, this class further emphasized how important it is for an individual to take a stand for a issue he/she truly believes in. Many of the issues that are being addressed today is because someone took it upon him/herself to implement positive change. This is vital if we ever want our community to excel; every little action does count in the end. I truly enjoyed meeting all of you girls and hearing what everyone had to say about the issues discussed in class! Thanks for listening!

2 comments:

Mary said...

I felt similarly about how difficult it was to get hear about and get involved with various organizations. Not only are there some absolutely amazing outside resources there are also incredible opportunities right here on campus. It is very disheartening that Emory does have so many great opportunities, but that they are not taken advantage of. All the lectures I went to for body acceptance week were poorly attended and the only people who attended did so for extra credit. Doing this activist practicum made me much more aware of campus events and some of the great resources available right on our campus.

Alice said...

I agree with Tina on what a great class this was. I thoroughly enjoyed learning about contemporary controversial issues. After taking so many science classes, learning the social aspects of the medical world is definitely an interesting side of things. In addition, applying a feminist critique to topics of gender, sexuality, disability, etc is something that I would have never done without being in this class. It was definitely an an eye opening class and I thoroughly enjoyed all of the discussions that we had. I think it was a great requirement to go out into the community and apply our knowledge as well as gain insight on positions of different organizations on certain issues. Thanks for a great semester!