Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Reproductive Justice

As some of us have already posted on the blog, I too though today's lecture was really great. The guest speakers Cara Page and Mia Mingus presented a lot of information that I had not been familiar with. However new this information was to me, I really understand and can see its role in our society today. I had never thought of how marginalized groups could be blamed for environmental degradation. However, after seeing the various clips portrayed by media, I really could understand how much influence these images can have. Moreover, what I find to be sad is that many people do not interpret such clips to be negative; they read the articles and flip through the various photos that in essence, blame, colored groups for these environmental problems without realizing how untruthful this portrayal is.



Another aspect of today's lecture that I had never really given though to was why women of color are fighting to have children. Although I was aware of the lack of services that are offered in areas in which there are a high number of minority women, I had never thought of why this was the case. The same goes for the schooling and other conditions that make it difficult to raise a child in such areas. The fact that these women do not have the choice that Caucasian women may have is unjust. It is not fair to restrict some groups of people from services that are offered to others for no apparent reason. Aren't we all supposed to be created equal? Is that not one of the founding ideas of the United States?

2 comments:

Maria said...

I had the same reaction in that I'd never really made the connection between the difficulties of raising children in poverty and adverse situations and reproductive justice. I think this is such an important message for everyone. Abortion and birth control are not the only issues when it comes to reproductive issues.

cait said...

I guess my question is, what do we do about it? How do we get financially sound mothers and mothers raising children in poverty to help each other? This, in hopes that the children raised in poverty might be helped a bit financially, and that all the children involved might be raised in a more stable and loving environment. And how do we facilitate proper communication across such a gap when there are such great cultural divides?
The logistics of all of this is so difficult and at the same time I feel like there would be more of an impact mother to mother than in merely changing the control of the government over the activities of the mom.